07 May Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Brussels Sprouts are my favorite vegetable of all time. I cook them at home and order them at a restaurant whenever possible. After years of trial and error, this recipe is my go-to method of cooking them. I have a few key factors to share in order to get the crispiest brussels sprouts with that amazing char!
- The size of the Brussels Sprouts matters. Halving them results in a greater surface area for oil and seasonings to soak into the brussels sprouts, resulting in more flavor and a lovely texture.
- Do not crowd the pan! If your pan is too small, the brussels sprouts will not cook evenly. Make sure each brussel sprout is touching the bottom of the pan. This is essential for the crisp-factor!
- Be generous with the avocado oil. You want the brussels to be fully coated. Avocado oil as a cooking oil is very heat stable and is one of my favorite oils for high-temperature cooking. Extra virgin olive oil is an extremely healthy oil. However, it has a very low smoke point making it completely unsuitable for cooking at high temperatures in the oven.
- 425F is the sweet spot. A lot of the time, people do not cook their Brussels sprouts at a high enough temperature. This temperature makes for mouth-watering perfection.
That’s it! I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 2 lb brussel sprouts
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic peeled
- 1 lemon
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Trim bottom of Brussels Sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom. Place into a large mixing bowl and drizzle with avocado oil, sea salt, black pepper garlic cloves and mix until well combined.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and roast for 30-35 minutes. Remove the baking sheet every 15 minutes while roasting and give the Brussels Sprouts a toss to make sure they are evenly roasting.
- Once crisp and brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Squeeze the lemon on the sprouts and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for 2-3 days.