18 Feb Paleo Gnocchi
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you all! I’ve been wanting to make homemade gnocchi for a while, but I was intimidated by the entire process. However, it turns out that it’s really not difficult and SO worth it.
I’ve made this recipe with sweet potato and white potato and I can’t decide which one I prefer. They both turned out delicious!
I do want to share a few tips with you before you get started to make sure your gnocchi turn out perfect. First, make sure that your potato’s aren’t chunky. I used my hand blender to purée the potatoes and it worked really well. Next, make sure you coat your work surface with a good amount of cassava flour to prevent sticking. Lastly, make sure you use enough oil when pan frying your gnocchi. I used a non-stick pan, which I rarely use unless it’s something delicate like pancakes or these gnocchi.
- 1 1/4 cup mashed/puréed sweet potato or regular potato
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1 egg
- extra cassava flour for coating your work surface
- Bake or steam your potato until fork tender. Let cool and remove skin.
- The smoother your potato is the better your gnocchi will turn out. I recommend using a hand blender or food processor to purée your potato, but you could also use a potato masher.
- Pour the potato onto a marble slab or cutting board and form a hole in the middle. Crack egg into the hole and whisk with a fork and mix into the potato.
- Slowly pour the cassava flour in and knead into the sweet potato and egg mixture.
- When flour is well combined, roll into a ball shape. If your dough is too moist, add a bit more cassava flour.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and then take each piece and roll into a long tube.
- Cut the tubes into 1″ gnocchi. Repeat this process until all your gnocchi’s are cut.
- Boil a pot of water and add gnocchi. When the gnocchi floats to the top of the pot, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Then, add your boiled gnocchi’s to a pan with a bit of avocado oil or ghee to crisp both sides.
- Once browned on both sides, add your favorite sauce to the pan and serve!